February 29, 2012

Back on the trot


With the weather so unseasonably warm I just had to get out and enjoy the sunshine for a few hours. I bought a couple of pints of maggots and headed for the Lugg, travelling light taking just a trotting rod and the bare essentials of tackle. The rod is a slightly heavier one than I used on the chalk streams as I was fishing in tighter swims and had an outside chance of hooking a barbel. I have two bottom sections for it and opted for the 11' version.

After a long walk I stopped in a favourite chub swim, the current picks up off a bend and runs alongside a steep bank before cutting past an overhanging bush then hits the opposite bank beneath yet more foliage. It is a classic chub spot and has never failed to give me a fish or two.

I trickled maggots in as I tackled up, a 3 x AAA float, 5lb fluoro hooklink and a size 16 Guru QM1 hook - my secret weapon, sharp and devilishly designed to stick into a fish and stay there. They work a treat but, being barbless, they often fall out in the net once the fish is landed.

It took about twenty minutes to get a bite, just as I held back at the tail of the swim, a chub okay, not a monster at only 2 pounds or so but a good scrap in the fast water. Nothing else happened so I moved on to the next swim and the next and so on, seeking out action but, I presume due to the high sun and clear water, nothing came my way apart from a few sucked maggots - probably through the attention of minnows. I did however, meet several mad women walking their dogs, they were all cheerful enough but well, let's say a little eccentric in their ways. Its occasions like this when I like fishing with a partner as it gives me someone to pass them on to but today I had to smile politely whilst being introduced to their pampered pooches.

I ended up where I'd started, feeling tired and with an aching back but I was determined to give it a little longer. I soon had another small chub then something that came in like a dog on a lead to begin with but then woke up and went berserk, it was a brown trout of about two and a half pounds, a bit of a surprise really. The last fish was a slightly better chub of around three and a half pounds, again not a monster but great fun on a light rod and a bit hairy with so many snags nearby.

Happy with my modest haul I left as the sun was thinking about setting and when, I am certain, the better fish would have moved in to feed but I know when I've had enough and there is always tomorrow.

10 comments:

  1. Sounds great fun Dave , I cannot decide what to do on the last sunday of the season and am leaning towards going trotting for chub on the upper Teme with a chance of a grayling or barbel thrown in to the mix.

    Tight lines

    Bazal Peck

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sounds like the perfect plan Bazal, I hope that you get both species. Thanks for dropping in :-)

      Delete
  2. So as well as sharing your knowledge and secret weapons, I have your eccentric cast offs to look forward to! Still chomping at the proverbial! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Calm down Rich, almost there :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds like a good day out mate.

    ReplyDelete
  5. About time you went again Tom :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Dave
    Any chub over 3lb is a bit scary on the pin, nice going.

    regards

    Darren

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the visit Wyeangler, can't agree about the pin though, I feel in better control with a pin the a fixed spool any day, but I know its not for everybody.

      And I'm certain your first double figure barbel will come along soon enough - providing you fish the right areas ; )

      Delete
  7. Sounded a lovely day well spent, but is there any day that is not spent well when fishing Dave. I agree with your thoughts about the pin and having only just started last year to dabble in using them, I am really starting to feel more in contact with the fish and in many ways in more control and enjoyably so.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Another convert, glad to hear it Mark :-)

    ReplyDelete