September 29, 2013

James

If you ever doubt just how much you know about fishing then take a novice for a day. It is amazing just how many little things you do instinctively that have to be carefully explained and demonstrated - its exhausting.

I've guided people who think they know a bit but were hard work but today I spent with a real learner, my neighbour's lad James. I've taken him a few times before and today I wanted him to get his first carp - not a big one, one step at a time and all that, but a carp anyway. He's a lovely lad who sadly has Aspergers Syndrome which makes for some challenges in his life but he's very intelligent, witty and loves to fish. He's fine with a rod and line but does need to do things in an organised way, once we had that sorted he was away and flying.



James won't use a live bait so we fed a few pellets, bread and then some luncheon meat that I'd defrosted ............... but which floated! I was hoping to use small meat cubes as our main line of attack but now I was struggling and to make it worse I'd forgotten to bring another tin. Using the ol' noggin I mixed a paste out of a few slices of bread and the meat, the resultant ball of paste quickly accounted for a number of bites and when James eventually connected with one he had his first ever crucian carp. He was happy, I was delighted as I didn't even know there were any in here. It got better when the next bite was struck and hooked with no help from me and a pretty little mirror of about two and a half pounds was landed.




The paste was getting stolen more often than not by the hoards of roach and rudd in the swim, we changed to corn and James had plenty of silver fish and the most beautiful little linear carp. I had a few slightly larger carp up to four pounds or so, by casting a pva bag across to the far bank and one by floating a crust right under the near bank.

In all we had great fun but the close of play was signalled when James had tried to sort a minor tangle at the reel by winding backwards. The result was a bird's nest of prodigious proportion that meant we either start again or go home. Both tired and happy we packed vowing to return.

There are many ways to enjoy fishing and sharing a day with James is certainly one of them.


11 comments:

  1. Hopefully this time next week I'll have passed my level two coaching course Dave. When I set out at the start of the year doing level one I could never of imagined just what I was getting into and i tell you what I love it mate. It's so rewarding isn't it, can't wait to do some more teaching now

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The look on their faces is more than enough Rob. I wish I'd have a few more pointers when I was a tiddler, I spent more time undoing tangles than fishing.

      Delete
  2. "If you ever doubt just how much you know about fishing then take a novice for a day. It is amazing just how many little things you do instinctively that have to be carefully explained and demonstrated - its exhausting."

    Never a truer word spoken. We really take for granted how much knowledge and skill even the most ham-fisted of anglers has. Even something as basic as holding a fishing rod requires a lengthy tutorial. "No, use your other hand, yes, that one, no, don't hold it there, grip it there instead. It's easier if you do it this way, no not like that, like this, now use your other hand to... no, no, no, wait, wait, wait, don't open the bail arm yet...

    It's unbelievably exhausting. Everything we do and I mean EVERYTHING is a skill in it's own right and is done for a specific reason (mostly to avoid tangles). We just take it all for granted. We just 'do it' because that's what we've always done but it's taken years of practice without us even realising we have accumulated these skills. Well done. If I teach anyone in the future I will buy a whip (the fishing kind) and really start at the basics. I just found it impossible to teach everything all in one go.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The whip is definitely the way to go but they have to learn to coordinate a rod and reel at some stage, we all did it but usually left to our own devices - I think I can see why now :o)

      Thanks for your comments

      Delete
  3. I told you I thought you had a telent for instruction and I think you thought I was taking the fruit... Blake

    ReplyDelete
  4. I tried and failed with you Pete, that's when I gave up :o)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Smashing little Linear Dave, always a good day out helping someone too catch a fish.

    Well done too the two of you.

    ReplyDelete