September 07, 2024

Something Different

Steaming out of Poole Harbour onboard a boat full of blokes, most of which I had never met, I was full of anticipation and excitement. The trip had not started well as the journey South had entailed a lengthy diversion and driving through some torrential rain. The car park was the first hurdle of the new day as the payment had to be made by phone app. I'm no luddite but this one had me scratching lumps out of my hair. What app needs your date of birth but only allows you to count back down on a calendar at a week at a time? By the time I had sorted payment I was the only one left in the carpark, I grabbed my stuff and hurried to the jetty. I was later to realise that my hat and many other essentials were still in the boot as the land slipped away behind us, on top of that, my late boarding put me in the crappiest part of the boat to fish from - bugger.
As those around me sorted their kit, it became quite clear that most of the rigs I had pre-tied were inappropriate but sod it, they'll have to do. I began to concentrate on the job in hand as fish after fish started to come aboard..... to everybody else. A run of Scad passed me by, then the Pout showed up. I did eventually get amongst those but, by the time I got into the swing of things, several other species had come over the side. Ballan Wrasse, Goldsinny Wrasse. a Baillons Wrasse (those last two were new to me and I wished I'd had them), then Mark Everard, the trip organiser, had a splendid Corkwing Wrasse. Jack Perks was with us and he had the greenet Ballan Wrasse I have ever seen, it was going well.
My Pout numbers increased and a heavier pull gave me a small Ballan. It was time for a move and a go for some plaice. I had an instant responce on my rag and prawn combo bait but, try as I may it would not develop into a proper pull. In the past I have fished the North Somerset waters where massive leads are required and bulky baits needed to retain some scent in the fast tides, bites there are unmissable but here was more akin to quiver tipping for roach and bream.
We stopped at a Bream area and suddenly it all fell into place. I had half a dozen beautiful Bream, a fish I have always wanted to catch. I did foul hook a tiddler many years ago but that was the real deal. A further move or two and I had a couple of Tub Gurnard and three Plaice, a new species for me. I was very content if a little tired from standing most of the day.
Mark and one other chap had taken 8 species each and our boat accounted for 13 different species in all. The sister boat that shadowed us throughout, also had a good day including an Allis Shad. For me there were several high points and seeing two of Mark's pout surface with Cuttlefish hanging on to them was awesome. But why just his? I tell you, he's a fish conjourer. Another chap has a Squid grab his feathers. It was a handful to untangle and it 'inked' copiously. Waiting for the ink to run out, I leant a hand and teased the hooks from amongst its tenticles, at one point it was holding my finger with its little suckers, that was the best moment of the day.
The day ended at the pub - of course, and Mark handed out some silly prizes. One guy (Martin) had asked on the round-robin email for advice on avoiding sea sickness. I proffered what help I could and we swapped a few messages on the subject, I dubbed him 'Barfin Martin' which caught on but awarded him a special prize for keeping a hold of his breakfast despite feeling queezy when holding a glass of water. I used to go sea fishing with a bunch of mates on a regular basis, I miss the banter, the quiet competativeness and just experiencing seeing something spectacular appear from the depths, I don't think it will be too long before I do it again.

2 comments:

  1. Nice mixed bag - have we lost you to the sea?

    ReplyDelete
  2. No! The sea in question was a four and a half hour drive away and two nights in a hotel. I can't do that too often, especially in the rain, I'm knackered. One or two a year maybe.

    ReplyDelete