March 11, 2013

Drawing A Line Under It

There's still a few days left of the season yet I've put my gear away and shall not be fishing the river again for over three months. I've drawn a line under the worst season for many years and shall not be sorry to see it pass. Bad weather has been the biggest problem but other things have conspired to reduce the amount of time I've spent on the bank, its just been a lousy year.

On a brighter note I fished a small pool last week with a few guys from one of the forums I look in on. It was bitterly cold and the fish were reluctant to move very much but a few small carp were caught along with plenty of silver fish. We had plenty of laughs along the way and I'm sure I'll be fishing with some of then again in the new season.

I did drop in on my consistent chub swim on Saturday. I don't like fishing the same old swim again and again but the nine or ten anglers staying at the pub had recorded no chub or barbel all week, just a few trout and grayling on maggots so I was keen to demonstrate my prowess to the Three Amigo's Tim, Nick and The Prof. They were fishing the beat where my swim is located and when I rolled up at 1pm nobody was fishing it - game on.


I started to bait it with some maggots but after a single feeder full went in I heard a strangled cry from Nick who had fluked a pike on his lure rod. I ambled over to watch him slip and slide along the treacherous bank as he retrieved his landing net from some distance away, then netted a low double figured pike. It could have gone bigger but he had taken one of the ugliest fish from the river which had a stunted tale and a large dent in its back. I told him in no uncertain terms just what a miserable little fish it was and how he should be ashamed of disturbing the poor creature - well, he had been rather unkind about the fortunes of my football team in mid-week. 



I went on the catch a small chub of a couple of pounds before I lost interest and trudged home. They were all without action apart from The Prof who'd taken another trout albeit only a few ounces. 

Nick was further humiliated when his beloved Everton capitulated to Wigan in the FA Cup. Now I'm not the type of person to gloat but after his mid-week comments I was very happy to swap text messages during and after the game - I believe its called kismet :-)

10 comments:

  1. I've got Thursday booked off,but if this wind keeps up I'll give it a miss.That wind is brutal and it's the coldest I've felt all winter on the way to work today.

    I'm glad I'm not at Cheltenham until Friday this year,it will be awful to be watching the racing in this.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can sell you a lovely old sheepskin coat Monty, you'd fit right in at the gee gees in that.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Bitingly cold northerly today Dave, even for Barnsley its been bloody cold... tomorrow afternoon might see a visit to the river..BSC

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good luck BSG, you're quite mad but good luck anyway :o)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dave, what a naff season its been weather wise, so I can fully understand your sentiments. Lets just hope the new season will offer up a few more opportunities and the feeling of some warm sunshine on our backs.

    I'm sitting here now and there's more bloody snow outside, its blowing a hooley, looks like a blizzard and I feel like I'm living in Siberia. Hate this wind, its vicious.

    Monty I know the owner of Pete the Feat 2.40 Cheltenham, worth a small ew punt at the price.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I don't know, bloody horse racing bets being passed on my blog, what has the world come to? :o)

    ReplyDelete
  7. All meant in the best possible taste :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Its okay Nathan, I'm only jealous of your grayling :o)

      Delete
  8. Dave that was my poor Kenny Everett impression (well minus the beard) and my eyes are now watering from the rather energetic and somewhat dangerous 'crossing the legs' manoeuvre!

    Living where you do, you have some great grayling fishing on your doorstep. I'm surprised you haven't made more use of it or are they not something that floats your boat?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll be honest and say that it is largely down to my apathy and being sated after my annual trips to the Test and Wylye. That and when the river is low and suitable for grayling I usually prefer to stay warm (pathetic I know). This year I did promise myself some local grayling fishing and was all geared up for it but the high rivers dampened my enthusiasm.

      Like I say to Mrs Burr about all those chores that need doing 'I'll get around to it one day'.

      Delete