July 30, 2010

More about wood




I've mentioned it before that Andy Sliwa made a rod for my son Neil but he's also been renovating another rod for me. The rod in question was made many moons ago by my old mate Bunny Bunyan from a DIY kit out of a Bruce and Walker blank.

The Mk iv carp rod was de rigueur back in the day and as Bunny saw himself as a latter day Dick Walker, he just had to have one. It was well made too although I doubt that it ever saw a fish anywhere near the size of Clarissa. Anyway, having spoken about wooden rods to Bunny he graciously gave the rod to me. I didn't use it for a while although Neil had some nice chub on it, but when I did, I caught an unexpected perch but no barbel.

Then I decided to try a spot where I felt I would at last test the rod on a decent fish, but failed to get a bite. I lovingly packed everything away but when I next looked at the rod it was damaged. I was mortified. To use something as personal as a cane rod is a genuine treat but the responsibility is always to cherish it. Yet here I was, looking at a rod that had a peculiar piece of damage where the top layer of cane near the tip had lifted and split. It was not done by knocking it and when I asked a couple of rod builders for their opinions, it was the general consensus that either some glue had failed or it was due to the conditions (Bunny's loft) where it had been stored.

I didn't feel any better.

Bunny was very understanding as he had no intention of ever using the rod again. He said that I should glue it up and hang it on a wall. But that was not right; A damaged rod is no use to anybody, I decided to get it repaired. But then, if I had a new top section made it would not be 'Bunny's' rod. Enter Andy Sliwa.

Andy had a look at it and decided that he could repair it and it would still be usable. I had visions of a built up repaired section or of a rod whipped and bound like a broken leg but he set about it and asked if I wanted the whole rod refurbished. In for a penny.... he went ahead.

Yesterday I met up with Andy on the Red Lion section. Part of the deal when he made Neil's rod was that he would have a couple of days here with me, unfortunately I couldn't be with him on Wednesday but yesterday we got it together.

He produced the rod and I was staggered! I thought that he had put Bunny's handle onto a new rod but he insists that its the same one and the mend is quite invisible. It looks absolutely gorgeous and I can't wait to put a bend in it. This guy has some talent, if your old cane rods are looking a bit sad then he's the man to contact.

a rod reborn

As for the fishing, well we tried a spot that, although lovely to look at, did not produce a bite. So we headed for another beat and I learned that Andy's fishing has not been too successful so far this season and he hadn't landed a barbel so far. Also, he'd never had more than one barbel in a day, due mainly to low stock density on his home section of river. I really wanted to get him a fish or two.

In the chosen swim I droppered a load of hemp and suggested he fish hemp in the feeder with a 10mm pineapple on the hook. I had to pop into Hay for a an hour but returned to find a happy angler who'd had a nice chub and a barbel of about seven pounds. Excellent.

We stuck at it and when Andy's rod (a carbon rod by the way), bent around, he hit into a heavy fish that staid deep and gave a really good account of itself. Safely in the net it went nine pounds exactly. Andy was doing cartwheels down the bank and I felt that I had, in some small way, given back some of the pleasure that his rod building has given me.
Andy looks happy with his fish

Alas, the river switched off during the evening and only a chub was added to the catch. Neil was fishing elsewhere and his chub, that had been biting freely earlier, stopped feeding just at the time you would expect them to come on and have a go. Not to worry, Andy went home happy and will no doubt be back again.

He did give me one more little gem. For the ultimate bamboo tart (I am well short of that by the way) he has made some split cane handled baiting needles. Mine will probably never see the river because I lose things way too easily. But for those who appreciate wood, take a look at the picture and drool. Although I rather suspect that the likes of ol' Twocanes himself will claim, through gritted teeth, "well, I don't use boilies anyway". I know you're jealous Rocca, eat yer heart out ;-)


11 comments:

  1. Nice one Dave, the ressurection of an old cane rod is very rewarding, you are dead right to use it. I can never understand those that put them in glass cases. I hope you catch the fish of your dreams on it mate...enjoy.
    regards Gurn

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cheers Gurn, I'll do my best to bend it soon.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dave,

    I've a rod that needs some TLC,I think I'll get him to take a look for me.I hope to put a bend in a bit of wood in the morning.

    Nice blog(God I hope that's not to sychopantic)?

    Monty D

    ReplyDelete
  4. Not at all Smithers, I mean Monty ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Have you seen the bamboo bank sticks Dave?, they are something else!

    Good fishing matey, i may start to look round for a piece of wood to use.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I draw the line at split cane bank sticks Tom, they may look nice but are they going to break and fill your hands with splinters?

    But get yourself a wooden rod mate, they are great fun.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm beginning to feel left out........

    I think that my neighbour 'Barnsley Andy' has had happy dealings with Andy Sliwa as well, good to know that proper craftsman are still around.

    Conrad

    ReplyDelete
  8. What is it with this wood business? I was given a pre war Wizard 15 years ago which I had renovated by a bloke who was just starting out with a line of rods (Edward Barder), it cost me £175 to get it restored and I used it for a couple of seasons but it never was happy slinging a feeder across the Severn so I retired it and finally sold it a few years ago to some poor fool to finance a couple of Harrison Chimeras......Proper rods....
    Even Walker was experimenting with carbon before he died.....If new tech was good enough for him it's good enough for me....All I want now is to find another one at a boot sale to finance a couple of Torrix.s

    AdeW

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Ade

    I thought you had more soul mate. Its nothing serious, it just adding a little pleasure to the day and they do look lovely.

    Not too practical for feeder flinging though.

    Dave

    ReplyDelete
  10. I like old floats mate and I have an Allcocks lightcaster (think top two sections of a Wizard with a handle on it) hanging on my dining room wall, but when it comes to something to fish with give me carbon all the way......Until something better comes along that is.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Cracking read Dave, hope the new "legerstrike" will give me just as much fun..

    Bendsomecane
    (barnsleyandy)

    ReplyDelete